Monday, November 11, 2013

#veterensdaysalute

There was a time in my life when I was young and unappreciative of the sacrifices that others had made to protect my freedoms as an American citizen. I can remember when a loved one of mine expressed interest in joining the Army, I begged him not to. I was being selfish. It was mere months after the attack on the World Trade Center and I knew that he would be taken away from me. That he'd be put into harm's way and might not come back. He joined and sure enough was deployed before we knew it. But, the Dear Lord knew what he was doing with me. After many years and some maturation, my heart was tender enough to look at things differently. I was blessed that he was still available and wanted me back into his life too. I listened to some of the stories he shared about war time, I heard the pride in his voice, saw the fulfillment in serving his country. My perspective on freedom in the U.S.A. had forever been changed.

Even though I don't write about it or say it out loud every day I have incredible respect for the strong men and women who have committed their lives to serving our country. You see, that man became my husband, and I'm now the wife of a veteran. I wholly believe, that the Lord creates special people to become the spouses of service members. It's not a position to be filled by just anyone. Just as strong as a soldier must be so must their supporting family members. There are households to be ran by one person when they are away. A job that is normally done by two is done by one. Kids that miss their parents and family members. Birthdays and holidays that must be celebrated with a familiar face missing. Adjustments to be made in a relationship when they return home and each have  become accustomed to living apart for so long. A person who makes a choice to love someone unconditionally, even though, they may not always return from war in the same condition they left in. Through the lonely nights with an empty side of the bed. Through the days or weeks on end when you may not be in contact with them you stand strong by their side - their support - chin up.

Experience changes the lens with which you view things. Not only do I have incredible respect for those that serve our county by being in the thick of it, giving their lives, and becoming forever changed from it. I also have the utmost appreciation for the wives, the husbands, the children, the mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and loved ones that serve as the support so that these people may be able to commit fully to fighting for our freedoms.

So, thank you, from the bottom of my heart to all those who have served, are serving, or have given the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you to all of those who supported them in their time of service. And, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone I know. In one way or another you have been there for me, my husband, and my child. You have served as our strength when we need it, our support when feeling defeated, you have checked on us and pitched in with a helping hand when we may have been short one. The visits, the texts, the calls, the emails...

They say it takes a village, I couldn't agree more!
Happy Veterans Day! 

Until Then.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment